Wednesday 5 December 2007

Bonnie’s Boy Child

My friend Bonnie had her baby last Friday. Her hubby called to let me know on Saturday. Bonnie had complications and was resting when he called. I asked for permission to visit them on Sunday and he agreed. My neighbour Winnie wanted to tag along too. She had never visited anyone in an Australian hospital. Since she had already met Bonnie a few times, I thought they wouldn’t mind.

Bonnie called me on Sunday morning. She sounded happy and was looking forward to showing off her baby boy to me. I took the opportunity to let her know that Winnie was coming along too. “The more the merrier.” she said.

When we got to the hospital, Bonnie was napping. Her hubby was just outside the door to her room holding a squirmy bundle in his hands. He went back into the room to notify her while we waited outside. While we waited, an exhausted looking mum was being wheeled back into the next room. Bonnie’s hubby came back to invite us in. When I was getting ready to leave the apartment, I visualized Bonnie sitting on her bed holding a little baby when I entered the room. That’s exactly how she posed when I entered the room. LOL. The proud parents told us that we came at the right time. Her baby had just been fed and was just being taken out of the room to give his mum a bit of rest when we arrived. Knowing that I was dying to meet him, they passed the baby to me. He was all wrapped up, exposing only one hand and his face. I love looking at babies’ hands and I just can’t resist counting his fingers even though the parents would have realised by now if any were missing. I can also see that he had fine blonde hair underneath the wrap. The room was meant to be air-conditioned but it was quite warm (to my expectations) and the baby was all wrapped up. Within minutes of holding this newborn closely, he was asleep and I returned him to his crib while his dotting dad placed a thin blanket on top of him.

At birth, the baby weighed 7 lbs. He was born on Friday and was still struggling to be breast fed on the day that I visited. Just like any other young babies, he usually wakes up hungry and has little patience to wait around for a feed. According to Bonnie, he seems to forget how to latch on at the start of every feed. They freaked out on Saturday when they found out that he had lost weight. They obviously didn’t know that it happens to many newborns. Bonnie said that she will continue breastfeeding even though it is a little uncomfortable at times. The nurses praised her for the efforts she put in.

I didn’t bring any gifts with me for the visit. I have decided to bring them along when I visit them at their home later. No one was sure of the baby’s gender throughout the whole pregnancy. Bonnie joked that she didn’t want to know. I have bought a few brand new baby outfits from Ebay. (Okay, okay, I admit that I am a little clucky to be buying them.) This is the only way a poor nanny can afford fine European fashion. So, I think I may select one of these or purchase another baby-grow. I recently saw that Bonds had released a new type of baby-grow. What attracted me is that they are designed and made in Australia. As with other Bonds baby clothes, the price is reasonable. If I get that I can see for myself if the design is really that practical. Bonnie’s baby boy can be the guinea pig to try out this new design. I do have to be careful though. It is usually in the months of December and January that I blow my budget on shopping for unnecessary stuff.

0 comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=4b0e839191f0716e560aee169f8ff90b