Tuesday 18 December 2007

Catching Bus #11

I love walking. It helps me to clear my head (not referring to headaches) and cheers me up too. Catching the trams can be frustrating when they are jam-packed with people. So I began to walk to closer destinations like the city and South Melbourne, and I have been doing it for years now. At first, I used to walk only on cooler days and walked only one way. Nowadays, I get to my destination and back on foot except when I have a lot of shopping to carry or if the temperature is over 32°C. Another exception is when I am dressed to kill. I prefer to travel in ‘style’ on those occasions. Some people (referring to friends and relatives) drive to the corner shop and will never understand why we catch bus #11. To avoid nosey questions and those little jokes, we usually drive to social gatherings. We walk on the tan track around the Royal Botanical Gardens all the time. I don’t know why it took us so long to realise that we could easily manage walking to the city or South Melbourne without having to wait for a tram.

(Note: Winnie, my neighbour taught me a new slang. She told me that when people go somewhere by walking, they usually describe the person as catching Bus #11. This is because the number 11 looks like a person’s legs. LOL)

0 comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=4b0e839191f0716e560aee169f8ff90b