Sunday 2 December 2007

Concerns Re: New Challenges for 2008

I spoke to the girls’ mothers in regards to the plans for next year again. I have told them that I am happy to do what they have requested. They were very happy of course. Bree’s mum had been wondering if I was not happy with what they had put forward because it had taken me so long to respond to them. I didn’t say much because I had been very busy with my studies in November. I did think about the new challenges in my spare time.

Before I started working for these two families, I was working for two families from hell. (Regular readers of this blog may be aware of the families. I can’t seem to stop blogging about them because I don’t think I got over what happened. This nanny is quite sensitive.) It started out as a nanny sharing situation as well. Those two mothers were sisters and took full advantage of me. I guess it was partially my fault because I gave in to their ‘nicely disguised’ demands but employers are usually pretty skilled in squeezing the absolute most out of their paid staff or they will feel ripped off. So, when I started working for the current two families, I made doubly sure that the families will stick to what we have all agreed upon. These two mothers are not biologically related but they are business partners. For two years I looked after the girls separately on different days of the week, in their own homes. I knew all along that this arrangement couldn’t go on forever because the girls are growing up and their parents may have changes to their priorities. This was confirmed when Stella’s parents decided recently that she is going to primary school in 2008. For a while I thought that the family would stop hiring me, leaving me to look after Bree only. Bree’s parents (especially her mum) too have been talking about increasing my hours.

I had looked into their requests carefully and scrutinized possible scenarios that may come up in 2008. Since the new challenges include looking after the two girls together in different homes, I spoke to the mothers about the following. I had to make sure that they (the parents) were prepared to handle any consequences as a result of these changes maturely in a civilised manner.

· From my experience in the past, the children will almost definitely react to the changes and it is impossible to predict how their behaviour will be affected.
· Germs Do Not Discriminate – Being the only child in their own families, the girls (especially Bree) will now spend a part of their day playing together and may come in contact with each other’s germs. There may be more occurrences of childhood ailments.
· Emergency Child-Care Option – While both girls are very healthy and hardly ever get sick, especially Stella, the parents must make alternative arrangements if one child is very sick and requires isolation from the other child or if the nanny falls ill. I told them that I do not wish to see the blame game. This isn’t something new. It is more of a reminder.
· Little Poppets See, Little Poppets Do – While both girls are naturally sweet and seldom get into any trouble, they (especially Bree) are likely to learn from each other. This includes copying bad behaviour.
· Log Books (the child’s journal) will not be shared. The child visiting the other child’s house must bring along her log book. This is to keep information somewhat confidential. Believe me; some parents protect their own privacy more than the general safety of their own children.
· Punctual Pick-up Time – The parent in charge of picking up the visiting child should be punctual. I do not wish to leave the house until the visiting child has been picked up by her parents even if the parents of the other child are already home. I explained that some parents may at first welcome the idea of looking after another child after a long working day but this is likely to cause resentment in the long run. I have seen how accommodating parents were taken advantage of.
· Food & Basic Supplies – I instructed both mothers to discuss among themselves about food and basic supplies before filling me with the details. They have to be frank to each other. Ideally, the visiting child should bring her own food & drink but sometimes children enjoy making and sharing a snack together. There is also the issue on provision of other basic supplies. For instance if Stella would like to do a painting, then Bree, who is visiting, should also be given the same opportunity if she wishes to do so as well. Sharing a bit of paint may not cost much at first but if this happens regularly, some people may start to grumble. Surely people who hire nannies are able to afford little things like that. Well, this nanny has experienced parents from Toorak squabbling over juice, strawberries and chicken nuggets (on different occasions)!

I think these were most of the concerns that I raised with the mothers. They probably think that I am crazy to be so thorough. The reason that I am so mindful is because of my past experiences. I have enjoyed working for the current two families and I do not wish for it to turn sour just because of new challenges in 2008. I believe that if the two sets of parents are frank with each other expectations and work as a team with the nanny, the arrangements will work out not just for the children but for everyone concern. I have my fingers crossed and wish too that everything will turn out alright.

0 comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=4b0e839191f0716e560aee169f8ff90b