Monday 28 January 2008

The African Village @ Southbank

We visited the African Village, erected temporarily as part of Australia Day celebrations on the grassy area next to Hamer Hall. It was absolutely good fun. I have been wanting for someone to organize something like this for a while. I know so little about Africa and judging by the reactions of some people to some incidents that occurred at the end of 2007, they are a misunderstood lot just like previous generations of migrants from various parts of the world. This type of cultural experiences help everyone to understand each other a bit better. Cameron said that there was also a Bollywood thingo going on at Fitzroy Gardens. We gave that a miss because we have already been to a Bollywood event a couple years ago.

Here are a few photos I took at the African Village. Most of the photos didn't turn out as well because of the glare from the sun. Here are the better ones:

  1. The top photo is of a guy making the roof of a hut.
  2. The same guy then joined his mates to play some music. Check out the other guy's hat!
  3. This little guy decided to join in as well. I desperately wished that he would turn his head my way but he didn't.
  4. According to a board, this is a display of Southern Sudanese Weaving Craft. A lady came over to greet us when she saw that I took an interest. I desperately wanted to ask if they use them as a platter to display fruits at home but was too shy to.

1 comments:

Career.Nanny said...

GREAT PICTURES!!!
I love the picture of the boy, I can see wanting his portrait, but the profile is nice also.

 
ss_blog_claim=4b0e839191f0716e560aee169f8ff90b