Wednesday 9 January 2008

Had a Chat with Batboy (Lachlan)

Saturday was too hot for grocery shopping. We went on Sunday instead. The cool change was a welcome relieve. Cameron popped over to Borders to pick up a book he had ordered and I waited for him at QV’s food court trying this really delicious pudding in a lovely Orange shape container from Bread Top. As I thumbed through the Big W catalogue, I noticed from the corner of my left eye, the figure of a little person eyeing me. I don’t know why but I am quite a kid-magnet. I made a conscious effort to not make any eye-contact and I might one day write a post about why someday. After a minute or two, I could see the little person approaching towards my direction. I wanted the adult in charge of him to call him back. I didn’t want to engage in any conversation and I definitely didn’t want my day ruined. The little person came over to my table and sat down on one end of the bench. I was still refusing to make eye-contact but I knew I would have to soon. The child spoke first. He greeted, “Hello @#*-@#*.” His voice was familiar and he knew my name! I looked up and made eye-contact but I didn’t instantly recognise him until the adult in charge of him called out, “Lachlan.” To that he said, “Bye” and went back to stand by the man’s side. They were ordering Puffy, a type of cookie with a soft filling.

After a brief chat between the two, the man turned to smile at me. Lachlan came over to my table again. I didn’t recognise him before because he had a haircut. He used to have longish hair. The new look made him more boyish and less babyish. I greeted him politely and explained that I didn’t recognise him at first. He was also wearing this black Spiderman suit which was padded to give him ‘muscles’. As expected, he asked about my orange pudding. He didn’t say much after that. He is a lot less chatty than Stella. I am amazed that he actually came over to greet me though. Lachlan’s father came over to introduce himself. He was surprised too that Lachlan came over to me because he is usually quiet around unfamiliar adults. Before they left, Lachlan’s father urged his son to introduce to me his new nanny when Stella and I meet up with him again at the park. A new nanny? I didn’t know his nanny was leaving. She didn’t talk about leaving. “Which one, Daddy?” Lachlan asked. “All of them. You can introduce all of them.” his father answered. Is there more than one nanny? What is going on? I didn’t ask because I didn’t want to appear nosey but I was curious though.

The first thing I did when I got home was to call Lachlan’s old nanny. Was she sacked? I needed to know if she was alright. I only have her mobile number and I dialled multiple times but I kept getting this message notifying me that she was not connected. I hope she is okay. She seemed to be a good nanny and Lachlan liked her. I wonder what the new nanny is (or nannies are) like. I wonder if Stella and Lachlan will still meet up to play at the park on every Thursday. I was actually anticipating introducing Bree to the duo now that she comes along to be cared for at Stella’s house in the afternoon.

1 comments:

Career.Nanny said...

That was unexpected. I'm wondering how this will play out also. Hope everything is okay.

 
ss_blog_claim=4b0e839191f0716e560aee169f8ff90b